MailChimp is the system being integrated in this example, however, the same process applies to most other systems.
Following the example from the Webhooks Integration guide, the MailChimp webhook has been found and now it needs to be configured. Integrating external tools using Zapier is quite simple. There are a number of steps, but, they are not complicated.
First, it is important to determine exactly what data is needed from
MailChimp, otherwise the configuration will not return the correct results. In this case, details on every new MailChimp subscriber will be sent to Tonkean... directly from MailChimp.
Create Webhook in Tonkean
Once the intended system has been selected, give the integration a display name . This one is being called "MailChimp New Subs."
DO NOT click Create yet. We will return to it later.
Create "Zap" in Zapier
To push subscribers from MailChimp to Tonkean, a trigger ("zap") in Zapier must first be configured.
To Create a Zap either:
- Click the Zapier quick link from the Tonkean window and continue using this guide: Zapier Integration Using the Quick Link
- Go to https://zapier.com, login to Zapier and click on Make a Zap!
We are going to build a Zap that connects MailChimp (or the tool of your selection) app with the Zapier Webhooks app (that will be used to send data to Tonkean).
Select the Trigger + Action
In this example, We want Tonkean to add a new Track for every new subscriber in MailChimp as well as update existing subscriber Tracks when there are changes in MailChimp. Click Continue to proceed.
Therefore, our Trigger App in this case would be MailChimp and our Action would be Updated Subscriber (that will be triggered both when new subscriber is added or existing one is being updated).
1. Select the system (MailChimp) as the Trigger App.
You can search it if you don't see it in your apps.
2. Select the Trigger within the app. In this case, choose Updated Subscriber so that Zapier triggers on new and updated subscribers.
3. Connect and authenticate the app's account. Click Connect an Account. A window will pop open to authenticate. Enter login credentials. The window will close and Zapier will show the account as connected.
4. Select the Subscriber List to integrate with Tonkean.
5. Click Load in Samples to pull in a sample record for testing. It is not necessary to actually create a new subscriber as Zapier indicates. It will find one from the List.
The Trigger options are now complete. Action App settings are next.
Set Up Action App + Options
As described before, we will be sending information to Tonkean using the Zapier Webhooks App.
The next steps describes how to do that:
1. Choose Webhooks as the Action App.
2. Select Webhooks by Zapier Action. This should ALWAYS be POST.
3. Return to Tonkean. Now, Create the webhook & Copy the webhook URL from this next screen:
4. Return to Zapier.
- Paste the webhook URL in to the URL: field,
- Select json as the Payload Type.
- All other fields should remain as is.
Click Continue and then click "Send Test To Webhooks by Zapier" button.
5. Click Finish and then turn the Zap ON.
The integration is now complete and active in Zapier.
Confirm Configuration in Tonkean
Return to Tonkean and the webhook configuration to verify the request was successful.
The first item should be sent automatically and move you to the next screen.
If it didn't, click "I did it." to move to the next step:
Mapping Between Your Object to a Tonkean Track
To successfully represent a "MailChimp Subscriber" as a Track in Tonkean, the "id" and "title" fields need to be mapped.
- Select the dropdown on 'id' field path and select id.
- Select the dropdown on 'title' field path and select email.
Mapping all objects lets Tonkean know what to display as the Track name and what identifier (id) to use in order to update existing items. All of the objects will be indexed into Tonkean.
Your external system is now connected to Tonkean!
Check out what you can do when you integrate your business tools into Tonkean.